Nutritional Value per Slice:
Calories from Fat: 66
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Total Carbs: 51 g
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 9 g
Sodium: 435 mg
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Butternut Squash, Portobello Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Hazelnut Pizza
YIELD: 8 slices
PREPARATION TIME: 60 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15-20 minutes
Bring your creative side out of hiding with this unique take on a classic pizza. Butternut squash, Portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions and hazelnuts make this pizza from The Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook a hit on any dinner table. Impress your family and friends with a combination they’ve surely never tasted before!
• 1½ lbs / 680 g whole wheat pizza dough (store bought or see p. 277 of The Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook), at room temperature
• ½ butternut squash, about 1½ lbs / 680 g, seeds scooped out
• 2 tsp / 10 ml extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 small clove garlic, chopped
• 1 tsp / 5 ml fresh thyme
• Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
• 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
• ¼ tsp / 1.25 ml herbes de Provence
• 2 Portobello mushrooms, stemmed, halved and sliced into ¼-inch thick pieces
• ½ cup / 120 ml Yogurt Cheese*
• ¼ cup / 60 ml hazelnuts or filberts, coarsely chopped
• Eat-Clean Cooking Spray
• Pinch each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Whole wheat flour or cornmeal, for dusting the pizza stone or baking sheet
NOTE: *Yogurt Cheese must be made ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (215°C). Spray flesh of squash with Eat-Clean Cooking Spray and place flesh side down on a baking sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with a skewer, about 40 minutes. Remove and let cool until comfortable to handle. Scoop squash from skin and transfer to a food processor. Add 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil, garlic, thyme, nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Heat 1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. Add onion and herbes de Provence. Cook until onions are starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat a large skillet on medium and spray with Eat-Clean Cooking Spray. Add Portobello mushrooms in a single layer, spray tops with a little Eat-Clean Cooking Spray and cook, stirring rarely, until soft and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Stretch, roll out or toss the pizza dough into a shape that will cover a 15- or 16-inch pizza stone or round or large rectangular baking sheet. Sprinkle pizza stone or baking sheet with a little flour or cornmeal to prevent dough from sticking, and stretch dough over top. Spread squash purée onto dough, leaving ½-inch of crust at the edge. Top with mushrooms and caramelized onions. Dollop with yogurt cheese, and sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Place pizza in oven and bake until crust is golden brown at the edges, and pizza is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, cut into slices and serve.
The dough and toppings can be prepared up to two days ahead of time. When you're ready, just assemble and bake.